Date:      Thu, 29 May 2008 23:48:29 +0200
From:      Roman Divacky <rdivacky@freebsd.org>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   [RFC]: switch to 2.6 linux emulation on default

--u3/rZRmxL6MmkK24

hi,

FreeBSD 7.0 contains support for running emulation of Linux 2.6
(= NPTL, futexes, TLS basically) and I'd like to switch this
on default in HEAD to see if we can ship 8.0 with this emulation
running on default.

The advantages are obvious - ability to have newer Fedora base
system (which requires 2.6 kernel), more software running better
or running at all.

For some time epoll() support was considered to be the last
thing needed before this switch taking place but my patch
is incomplete and I don't want this to hold the switch back.
(yes, I am going to finish the epoll() and commit that, but
it's not a matter of days) so...

I'd like to switch the 2.6 emulation on default in HEAD in a
week. This will help test the Linuxulator and probably squeeze
out some more bugs (the getdents comes to mind), also this is
a prerequisite for Linuxulator64 hitting the tree (Dmitry, BIG
thanks for doing this work!) and we can always switch back if
things don't work out before 8.0 is to be branches, hence...

I am asking you to express your attitude towards switching
to 2.6 emulation on default in a week. Speak now or forever hold
your peace...

thank you!

roman

p.s. sorry for cross-posting, please reply on emulation@ only