Date:      Thu, 4 Aug 2005 05:00:30 +0000
From:      Ben Kaduk <minimarmot@gmail.com>
To:        Derrick Edwards <dantavious@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic on FreeBSD 6.0BETA1

On 8/4/05, Derrick Edwards <dantavious@comcast.net> wrote:
>=20
> Hi all,
> I decided to try and help with testing 6-BETA1, after updating sources an=
> recompiling i get the following during boot up. I am tried booting withou=
> hyperthreading enabled in the bios and I still get the same panic.
>=20
> cpuid =3D 0; apic id =3D00
> fault virtual address =3D 0x480008
> fault code =3D supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer =3D 0x20:0xc06923cc
> stack pointer =3D 0x28:0xc10208ec
>=20
> Code segment =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>   =3D DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>=20
> processor eflags =3D interrupt enabled, resyne, IOPL =3D 0
> current process =3D 0 (swapper)
> [thread pid 0tid0]
> Stopped at strlen+0x8: cmpb $0,0(%edx)
>=20
> I left all the debugging features in the current however, I am not sure
> exactly how to trace this problem. If someone could point me to any doc t=
hat
> would allow to provide more information that would be great. I updated my
> pen 400MHZ using the same procedures and all went well. Please help
>=20
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (1866.74-MHz 686-class CPU)
>  Origin =3D "GenuineIntel" Id =3D 0xf29 Stepping =3D 9
>=20
> Features=3D0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PG=
E,MCA,
> CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,D TS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>  Hyperthreading: 2 logical CPUs
> real memory =3D 1073676288 (1023 MB)
> avail memory =3D 1036931072 (988 MB)
> ACPI APIC Table: <IntelR AWRDACPI>
> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
> cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID: 0
> cpu1 (AP): APIC ID: 1
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks for your assistance
> Derrick
>=20
>=20
"
>=20

I presume that you used the standard upgrade sequence:
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=3Dmykernconf
reboot to single user
mergemaster -p
make installworld
mergemaster -i
reboot

Also, you checked /usr/src/UPDATING for any issues since your previous
install (which you didn't mention what was)?

When in this procedure did you get this panic() (the first or second reboot=
)?

If you are at a debugger prompt (db>) the output of 'trace', 'show pcpu',
'show pcpu 0', and 'show pcpu 1' would probably be useful to the
kernel hackers who can help you (not myself).

Thanks for helping to test the beta, and getting the information that
will be needed to debug this.

Ben Kaduk