Date:      2 Sep 2003 22:37:24 -0000
From:      Scott Ballantyne <sdb@ssr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cron on qmail not sending me logs

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 02:27:16PM -0400, Ralph Dratman wrote:

> Gary,
>
> Thank you for your reply. Your comments are informative but I still
> don't know what to do!
>
> For some reason, I am not receiving mail sent from cron to root.
> Therefore, I cannot see any of my (rather important) daily cron logs.
>
> I can send mail to root from anyplace else, either inside or outside
> the box, and it arrives at the forwarded location (ralph@maxsoft.com,
> an external domain).
>
> Can you think what might be going wrong?

There could be many things, Ralph, but why guess when the answer is
probably sitting right on your machine in qmail's log file?

Another useful diagnostic would be to run /var/log/qmail-qread (you
have to be root). Something like

/var/log/qmail-qread | egrep -v done | less

would take out the successful deliveries and just show you the
problems. If you don't see mail from cron to root in the qread output,
then that could suggest that the mail is being successfully sent, but
is perhaps being filtered out by your remote site.

If you're not sure how to interpret the log files, then post the
relevant bits.

Good luck,

sdb
--