Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:00:10 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP support

Mike Smith scribbled this message on Sep 11:
> > Mike Smith scribbled this message on Sep 11:

> > > Please, if you are going to do this, go back to the discussion that
> > > came up last time on this topic, most particularly the allocation and
> > > attachment strategy that Stefan and I discussed.  Doing this job
> > > half-assed is just going to mean that it will have to be done again.
> > > Do it right and people will love you forever.
> >
> > are you talking about making auto resource assignment??  if you are,
> > that wasn't what I was refering too...
>
> I mean go back and read the discussion that came up last time "how to
> integrate PnP" was raised.  Right now it's arriving via feeping
> creaturism, which is OK in that it gives us functionality that we
> didn't have, but it's basically Wrong, and gives us momentum in the
> wrong direction.

I vaugely remeber the conversation.. but I didn't follow very closely
as I never thought I would end up touching the PnP code.. :)

> If you have the time to do this, *please* take a little more of it to
> do it right.  We've been over all this several times, and have hashed
> out some pretty good models.  Doug Rabson got a long way through
> completely redesigning the ISA driver model with huge advantages before
> disappearing.  Don't just throw all this work away.  Please?

yeh... I know what you mean... but right now after I do some more work
on integrating this code in (Luigi's sound code is next), I have another
project that I've been wanting to work on for the past few months...
so I really can't devote the time that would be neccessary for the
project...  but, I might be able to help in a few weeks if everything
goes well..

ugh.. just remebered school starts in a few weeks too... :(

hmmm...  is the FreeBSD mailing list archives located in such a place
that I could grab a RAW copy of 'em??

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD