Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:24:04 -0500
From:      Gary Schrock <gary@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A @home problem

At 05:18 PM 3/28/2000 +0500, Pete Young wrote:
>On 23 Mar 00, at 13:23, Elonzo Taylor wrote:
> >
> > I tried your dhcp setup , but came accross a problem. It detected the
> > ether ed0  on the freebsd box ,but after 6 tries it timed out . saying
> > host sleeping
>
>Did you add
>
>ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"

Actually, I suspect the problem is that @home can be very slow to respond
to dhcp requests (I've heard stories of it taking up to an hour for the
server to respond).  There's a way to increase the timeout on waiting, I
think it might just be timeout somelargenumber; in the dhcp config file.  I
had to do this once when setting up a machine, but don't remember exactly
what the value was, and I can't check it conveniently.

Gary Schrock
gary@eyelab.msu.edu