Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 13:17:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>

Sorry for the crossposting, but this does affect two sets of users.

I have done some work in ports recently, trying to adapt some stuff in
ports to the reality of new /usr/src/contrib stuff in FreeBSD-current.  As
an example, ghostscript4 now uses the libz in /usr/lib, and not a
dependency on the old ports libz.  This wasn't a problem, just made it
link against new libs, no include file problems.

I am doing a new port at home of tcl-dp, distributed processing for tcl
using rpc, and the port needs to look at several tcl and tk include files,
well beyond just tcl.h.  Before tcl was made part of current, this was no
problem, I would just make it dependent on the tcl port, and tell the new
port where tcl lived in the ports collection.  The trouble comes in, in
trying to decide where to tell this new port to look for the tcl include
files.  The only one that has been installed in /usr/include is tcl.h,
which is really too little.  If I tell the tcl-dp port to look into
/usr/src/contrib/tcl/somewhere, then anyone not having the full
FreeBSD-current sources is out of luck.  This seems way too draconian a
requirement.

I'd like to suggest that maybe a /usr/include/tcl be made, and fully
populated with the tcl include files, following the directory setup in
/usr/src/contrib/tcl.  There aren't that many files involved with that (if
this is limited to .h files) and would take care of the problem.  I think
this would take care of dependencies for the tk41 port too, which will
have to be fixed sooner of later too.

I would move tcl.h to /usr/include/tcl/tcl.h.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |