Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2010 15:22:21 -0400
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
To:        lev@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Early CONFLICTS detection is POLA viloation?

--------------enigED426AA93080D43E3E3659FD

make -DDISABLE_CONFLICTS

On 6/27/2010 2:04 PM, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Freebsd-ports.
>=20
>   I  understand,  that  this  change (ports/137855, bsd.port.mk:1.632) =
 was  made 6 months ago, but I've
>  noticed it only now (twice in one day!).
>=20
>   Am  I  only  person,  who  thinks,  that  this  change  is HUGE POLA
>  violation?
>=20
>   PR  says about "big tarball is downloaded and CONFLICTS are detected
>  after  that,"  but I've have two more realistic scenarios, when early
>  conflict  detection  is  VERY annoying. Thry are real-life scenarios,
>  occured today for me in a row.
>=20
>  (1)  I  have  `subversion'  port  installed, and want to `makesum' in
>  updated subversion-freebsd port directory (because I'm maintainer and
>  need  to update port with new version, which have new tarball). OOPS.
>  I cannot even download new tarball -- confilct is detected.
>=20
>  (2) I want upgrade perl from 5.8.x to 5.10.x. Type command:
>=20
>  #portupgrade -rfo lang/petl5.10 perl-5.8.9_3
>=20
>    Ooops, confilct is detected, upgraid failed. GRRRR!
>=20
>=20
>    Maybe, early conflict detection should only print WARNING, and only
>  install  target  should  be blocked by it, as everybody used for MANY
>  years?
>=20

--=20
VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.