Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 04:15:49 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        Michal Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new freebsd slogan!!!

On 2003.09.05 12:44:03 +0200, Michal Pasternak
<michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl> wrote:

> RexFelis [Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:32:42PM -0700]:
> > FreeBSD:  The 'set it and forget it' OS.
>
> Really? You never patched any working -STABLE installation?

In August of 1999, I built a DSL router with a 100MHz Pentium and
FreeBSD 3.2-R.  It was locked down as tight as it got, with the only
access via serial terminal.  After two years, the disk failed, quite
literally grinding to a halt.  The disk was replaced, the RAM upgraded
to 64MB, and 4.3-R installed with the same configuration.  To date,
there has been only one bug affecting the machine (lsrr/ssrr flags).
It's still doing its job just as well as it did 4 years ago, quietly
ignored.

A router is situation where it's easy to sacrifice functionality to gain
security and reliability.  But 4 years of reliable service is no minor
achievement on late-90s PC hardware.