Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:58:58 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long IDE probes?

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 11:49:12AM -0600, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> > SCSI devices similarly are probed by the adapter BIOS.  Again, there is no
> > reason for the long wait that I can fathom.
>
> Then you don't fathom SCSI.  When the system comes up, it resets the
> SCSI bus to ensure that all previously negotiated transfer negotiations
> have been nullified.  Some devices take longer than others to respond
> after a bus reset.  If you are dealing with modern disks, you only need
> to wait ~100ms.  If you are dealing with tape drives, some cdrom drives,
> or older devices, you must wait longer or risk "not seeing" the device.
> The bus settle delay is easily configurable so that people with nice
> devices can shorten it, but the default delay in GENERIC is there for
> a very good reason.
>
> --
> Justin

The default was recently increased (read: made longer) - like doubled.

I *KNOW* that things like Exabytes "go away" for short periods of time
after a bus reset.  But we're talking about *defaults* here, and modern
disks and tape drives, while they may kvetch internally for a while before
they'll generally be useful, but virtually all will respond to an inquiry
within 3-5 seconds - maximum.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl
I ain't even *authorized* to speak for anyone other than myself, so give
up now on trying to associate my words with any particular organization.