Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2007 20:18:53 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: what's happening with xorg?

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 11:46:27PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > You could try playing with the gamma value of the monitor. When X is
> > running you can use xgamma to adjust the gamma setting. You can also set
> > this with the Gamma entry in the Monitor section of xorg.conf.
>=20
>=20
> 	Or should I ask somebbody to put back in the Radeon  card?  (i
> 	think that was the card i thought was "going bad"... ) Otherwise,
> 	I'll try the "Gamma"  entry in my Monitor section with my G450.
> 	What value should I use?  Or if it is boolen, do I try settting
> 	it to "on"??

The default setting for gamma is 1. Try e.g. 2. See also xorg.conf(5).

Alternatively you can try to change it while X is running by typing
'xgamma -gamma 2' in a terminal. This does require that the
VidModeExtension is active, i.e. the ServerFlags option
DisableVidModeExtension should _not_ be set.

> 	PS: to you, or to any other driver wizards::: is this mga driver
> 	    still being hacked-on?  The screen is only "dingy grey" not
> 	    black.  (*mumble*)

It looks like it is still in development;=20
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-mga/

BTW, I was assuming you have tried adjusting the brightness and contrast
settings of the monitor?

Roland
--=20

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5