Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 2010 08:51:58 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: booting off GPT partitions

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 06:45:36PM +0200, Dan Naumov wrote:
> I was under the impression that everyone and their dog is using GPT
> partitioning in FreeBSD these days, including for boot drives and that
> I was just being unlucky with my current NAS motherboard (Intel
> D945GCLF2) having supposedly shaky support for GPT boot. But right now
> I am having an email exchange with Supermicro support (whom I
> contacted since I am pondering their X7SPA-H board for a new system),
> who are telling me that booting off GPT requires UEFI BIOS, which is
> supposedly a very new thing and that for example NONE of their current
> motherboards have support for this.
>
> Am I misunderstanding something or is the Supermicro support tech misguided?

For what it's worth, I've never encountered any production x86 system that
I've worked on (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris 10, or OpenSolaris) which has
used GPT.

I don't know who's giving you the impression that "everyone and their
dog is using GPT".  Why is this feature a deal-breaker for you?  Why are
you giving it so much attention?

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |