Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 1997 03:24:36 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freefall.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: LINUX emulation and uname(3).

> No.
>
> If it runs under Linux it should run under the emulator.  Good emulation
> is fully bug compatible.
>
> Remember the various DOS emulators.  They emulate many bugs and undocumented
> features.  When you type `VER' they respond with `MS-DOS Version 5.00',
> not `FreeBSD ...'

Technically, you are missing the distinction between an emulator and
a simulator here.  It actually *is* DOS running, just not directly
in contact with the glass...

> The intent is to run software.  Without prejudice.  The emulator should
> not become a software critic.

Agreed.  However, consider the uname() thing as a marketing mandate: it
doesn't have to make sense for it to still have to be that way.

This is actually the first complaint I've ever heard about it... unless
you count the complaints about NetScape running on FreeBSD being counted
as Linux and therefore exagerating the Linux market share at the expense
of underreporting the FreeBSD market share.  I heard a *lot* of those
complaints before the change (see the CVS log for the file).

This is very much on the order of an external machine interface more
than an emulator interface.  The only reason it even came up is because
someone's license manager didn't expect FreeBSD (most likely because of
all that underreporting making it seem to be an insignificant market...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.