Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:22:40 -0400
From:      Seth <seth@psychotic.aberrant.org>
To:        Angshuman Dasgupta <angshumand@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with chflags

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:15:27AM -0700, Angshuman Dasgupta wrote:
> I got four replies to the original posting - I'm
> trying to reply to all here...
> I WAS running make installworld in singleuser mode

What were the steps you took to get to single-user mode?
One way that works for me is to interrupt the boot process
and type 'boot -s' at the prompt, then 'mount -a' after
I've selected a shell.

> I changed securelevel to 0 in rc.conf and rebooted -
> and it said RAISING kernel securelevel -1 -> 0 !!

At this point, I think you're multi-user.  I don't
ever recall seeing the rc files processed in
single-user mode.

> is there any way i can check what securelevel the
> kernel is running in? Can anyone tell me why this is
> happening, at securelevel 0? (apparently)

'sysctl kern.securelevel' should do the trick.

S.