Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:47:20 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Bill Gates <stifle33@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP client in 4.0-CURRENT (July 5th, 1999)

Bill Gates wrote:

> Why do you guys inlude the dhcp client, but it doesn't work with the base
> distribution (GENERIC kernel)?
>
> How lame...

	In my experience it's usually better to wait on the value judgements till
you've at least heard the reasons. :)

> Will the next 4.0 public SNAPshot release have berkeley packet filter
> compiled into the GENERIC kernel?

	The short answer is, unless something changes dramatically, no. The reason
is, on some systems and on some configurations BPF can be a security risk.
If your computer is the only one on your network, then you have nothing to
worry about in using BPF.

	The reason that dhclient is included in the base even thought it requires
a kernel recompile to use it is much more complicated, however it's part of
the overall move to making freebsd more dhcp friendly. There are several
other items in the base that fall into this category as well, so although
it may or may not be "lame," it is in good company.

	Finally, if you need any help with setting up dhclient, take a look at
http://home.san.rr.com/freebsd/dhcp.html.

Good luck,

Doug