Date:      Sat, 6 May 1995 08:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jbryant@news.iadfw.net (Jim Bryant)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems with 0412

> In reply:
> > To: Jim Bryant <jbryant@news.iadfw.net>
> > cc: dyson@root.com
> > Subject: Re: problems with 0412
> > From: David Greenman <davidg@root.com>
> > Date: Thu, 04 May 1995 23:20:47 -0700
> >
> > >i've noticed a few quirks in 0412.
> > >
> > >case: swap-bound under continous heavy network load.
> > >
> > >[64M RAM, 128M swap space, average 80-100% into swap during peak load
> > >periods]
> > >
> > >after long sessions of swap-bound activities, not all of the vm space is
> > >being reclaimed, thus requiring reboot.  garbage-collection problem?
> >
> >    How much space?
> >
> > -DG
>
> in the 20-30% range.
>
> also, a few hours after i wrote that, i swapped the 16meggers for
> 32meggers for 128meg.

How many chips are on each simm?  I have seen the followin notice
comming with some motherboards now, and it may explain a problem
I saw almost a year ago with putting 32MB simms in the Intel Plato
boards:  (This is from the ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 manual)
--- begin ---
SIMM MODULE RESTRITION
	After this manual was printed, it was discovered that some us-
ers have been attempting to use memory modules that achieve a large
total capacity by using large numbers of low density DRAM chips
mounted on one module PCB.  This solution results in modules that
exceeed the design specifications of the DRAM memory subsystem.
It is therefore important that you observe the following restriction in
selecting modules for use with this mainboard.

24-CHIP TOTAL CHIP LIMIT
Do not use SIMM modules with more than 24 chips per module
with this mainboard.  MOdules with more than 24 chips exceed the
desgin spcifications of the memory subsystem and will cause unre-
liable operation.  DO NOT use 32 or 36-chip SIMM modules with
this mainboard.

Out of curosity what model/make motherboard is this?

> the kernel seems to only see 64megs of that on boot.  it also seems
> [possible disk problem] at around 50% swap on the secondary scsi controller.
> this curses lotsa kernel prints, including one about pagein, it has since
> spontaneously rebooted various times, and required operator intervention
> twice.  i'm sure this has to do with the vm...

You need to tweak some options for >64MB, the way that memory is reported
is non-standard for any board with more than 64MB on it.  I will let
David answer that as I am not sure what the correct tweaks are any more.