Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 09:03:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net (mika ruohotie)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ufs is too slow?

> well...
>
> i posted this to usenet too...
>
> i was wondering if there's any truth here...
>
> my friend told me that the ufs filesystem is too slow for a high end
> nntp server usage...
>
> the average 7 articles per second is supposed to be too much, and that
> using some log type filesystem, like xfs (in sgi) would be better...
>
> he was saying that ufs cant create those 7 files in the second.
>
> is that so?

I have seen peaks of

Average articles per second was 15.842105263157895578

over a 300 article sample.

That was, however, on a machine heavily optimized towards the task.
We were flyyyyyying....

FFS is in general a great FS...  but it is optimized for the general case.

It is particularly poor at handling large directories or lots of writes,
and news is excellent at pounding on these qualities.

(see my other note this morning, or I can cc: you a copy).

... JG