Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:18:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hotmail FreeBSD-->Win2k migration

Here is the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/migration/hotmail/default.asp

IMHO it's worth reading. I'd like to hear what people think... ideally
something from people who work/used to work at Hotmail.
Some parts of their description make sense, but others don't. For one I
can't believe their stories about how it's much easier to develop and
debug software on Windows. Of course they probably assigned Windows
developers on the project.
Also here is some math:
While running FreeBSD Hotmail had 3,600 servers. Now it has more than
5,000. It's been less than a year since the transition. Before
transition size of the cluster was 300, after transition -- 400 (of
course it's more of a design issue than a performance indicator, but
still).

So what everybody thinks? In particular I don't have any experience with
CGI and multithreaded alternatives so I'd like to hear opinions of
experienced people about that.

[aslo posted to c.u.b.f.m, please cc: to me if replying, I'm not subscribed]