Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:42:08 +0200
From:      Kilian Hagemann <hagemann1@egs.uct.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing internet connection, how?

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 18:19, cblasius pondered:
> Hello!
>
> I have two ethernet cards on my computer. The first is rl0 - with
> the adrress from my ISP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (DSL 1M), and the second is vr0
> - with the address 192.168.1.1.
>
> I want to use my computer as gateway to internet for the other
> computers in my home. How I can sharing internet connection on my
> computer to the rest computers in my home? I hve 2 computers (my and my
> wife (rl0 192.168.1.2)).
>
> Could somone help me, I'm beginner?
>
> I have the following rc.conf file:
>
> defaultrouter="vvv.vvv.vvv.vvv"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> natd_enable="YES"
> hostname="myhost"
> ifconfig_rl0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  netmask 255.255.255.0"
> ifconfig_vr0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> linux_enable="YES"
> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_flags="-3"
> sshd_enable="YES"
> usbd_enable="YES"
>
> What I must to do else, because my wife could not connect to the
> internet?
> FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE

Until recently I managed a very similar setup. I think all you need is

natd_interface=rl0
natd_flags="-log_ipfw_denied -log_denied"

The latter is just so that you can see spurious connection attempts
in /var/log/security. Check man natd for more info.

Also, you'll have to either statically configure your wife's PC to use
192.168.1.2 (or whatever), default gateway/route 192.168.1.1 and proper DNS.
Alternatively install and configure dhcpd, or, which I like more for a simple
application like that, dnsmasq. Google will tell you more :-)

--
Kilian Hagemann

Climate Systems Analysis Group
University of Cape Town