Date:      Fri, 25 May 2012 18:17:43 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net>
Cc:        Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Packages target

--3D7yMlnunRPwJqC7

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:35:34PM +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> over the past few weeks I've been using the ports system without any
> ports-mgmt tool and have become utterly convinced that the PACKAGE_SEQ
> needs to be PACKAGE_SUSEQ for all but package-message.
> The primary reason is that the install target can install hierarchies or
> files not readable by the unprivileged user and as such the package
> target will fail.
>=20
> I'm not aware of any downsides to making this change in bpm or am I
> overlooking something?
> --=20
> Mel

I think the real thing to do there, is to work on the stagedir support so t=
hat
everything but packaging/syncing can be done as a user and only
syncing/packaging would need root privilege.

If someone is willing to work on that please contact me, I have some prelim=
inary
work on this and I can share it.

regards,
Bapt