Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 07:20:12 +0000
From:      dhaneshk k <dhaneshkk@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Adding a second disk to increase the space for   /var  on first dislk    :  4  questions

 people :      I am facing a  issue , in my FreeBSD server box   the   /var=
  (85 %  now)  directory is going to full , no space left in this  disk any=
more .

But I have another disk in my box  which is of 140 GB fresh disk , this I h=
ave to add so I gone through=20
the FreeBSD hand book of adding a new disk .

  According to docs  I  sliced and partitioned the second disk ,

 one doubt  :  here I created  10GB  bsd partition  in the second disk  ,

I have to assign o assign this  for /var (in my first  disk  /var is going =
to full)=20

Q1   )      so in /etc/fstab , the mount point what I have to specify  ? =20

 /var itself or  I need to create a directory  (mkdir   /myspace )=20

 and add it as the mount point in /etc/fstab  ?    like this=20

    /dev/da1s1e    /myspace       ufs      rw      2     2

OR=20

      /dev/da1s1e      /var       ufs      rw     2    2  =20

which one is correct  ?

and after this editing of  /etc/fstab   and restarting of the machine .

Q 2  )   my  serverbox  how it will continue to use the newly added space ?=
 for this I have to do any thing=20

some one told me that I have to copy all the contents of the /var  of first=
 disk to this newly added  space=20

is it right ?

how to do that=20

Q3 )    dd    /dev/da0s1d   /dev/da1s1/e      right ?  (to copy the content=
 from   /var (/dev/da0s1d)   of  the first disk  to   the newly added space=
   for var   on the second disk    (/dev/da1s1e )=20

Q4 )  Is it needed to install all the applications which already installed =
in the /var of the first disk to the  newly=20

added space on the second disk?=20

please give your tips and advice to  achieve   what I am trying to do.  Man=
y of you may have done this=20

before please help with your comments=20

Thanks in advance for all of you=20
Dhanesh

No Harvard, No Oxford. We are here. Find out !!
http://ss1.richmedia.in/recurl.asp?pid=3D500=