Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:20:15 -0400
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Courier-imap and MySQL

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 09:53:38PM +0200, Danny Carroll wrote:
> I have heard about a lot of people with the same problem as me.
> I am trying to setup virtual mail users with postfix, courier-imap and
> mySQL.
>
> I followed the proceedure at the following site:
> http://kirb.insanegenius.net/postfix.html
> The only message in the maillog log file is: "Jul 28 21:04:04 guard pop3d:
> LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]"

Courier doesn't log for shit.  Sam seems diametrically opposed to adding
any meaningful logging.  His troubleshooting advise is "strace it".

> I still can't figure out if that is the AuthModule which can't log in
> to mySQL or the user/pass for the mail user is wrong.  Did ANYONE?
> Manager to get this going on 4.6-STABLE
>
> Here are my files:
> [09:49pm root@guard:/usr/local/etc/courier-imap]#egrep ^[^#] authdaemonrc
> authmodulelist="authmysql"
> authmodulelistorig="authcustom authuserdb authmysql authpam"
> daemons=5
> version="authdaemond.mysql"
> authdaemonvar=/usr/local/var/authdaemon
>
> [09:49pm root@guard:/usr/local/etc/courier-imap]#egrep ^[^#] authmysqlrc
> MYSQL_SERVER                    guard
> MYSQL_SOCKET            /tmp/mysql.sock
> MYSQL_PORT              3306

I've not gotten TCP sockets working.  I couldn't interpret the strace
well enough.  If MySQL is on the local server, set MYSQL_SERVER to
"localhost" to try to use the unix socket.

Also, to simplify the debug process, try using authtest to cut the pop3
server out of the loop.

lambert@lambertfam.org