Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 1997 22:09:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why news expiration is sooo slowww with 2.2.x.

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

(BTW, can you stop your mail headers from getting mangled?)

> If you recall, I mentioned that my news expiration took
> a serious turn for the worse when I installed 2.2.1.  That is,
> expirations went from a few hours to 2-3 days (sometimes even
> longer now...)

  I use a 2.2.1 on a news server, although I should upgrade...

> I believe I've tripped over the issue.  It would appear that
> readdir et. al. is taking a *long* time.  If I go to a directory
> which has a lot of files and simply do an 'ls', it can
> take on the order of 20-30 minutes...  I wouldn't expect the sort
> to be the culprit here...  and, since I'm not asking for any
> file information, I think we can eliminate stat() as a potential
> culprit.

  What options are you using on the "ls"?  "-l" causes lots of getpwuid()
calls.  "-f" will avoid sorting.  How many files were actually in that
directory?  If the directory is screwed, and you have a million files in
it, 20-30 minutes is probably normal, and chances are the expiry will
never remove them either.

> I thought I would try to investigate what the problem was, but,
> before that; I'd send out the standard "has anyone seen/done anything
> in this area already?"   Has anyone else noticed an issue with
> readdir()?

  No.  I have over 20GB of news spool space.  It only takes a couple of
hours to expire.  Uptime is currently at 37 days, running 2.2.1

> 	- Thanks -
> 	- Dave Rivers -

Tom