Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 23:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        freebsd-ports
Subject:   Re: ports/2476: Unable to make port due to missing components

The following reply was made to PR ports/2476; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:  Subject: Re: ports/2476: Unable to make port due to missing components
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 23:40:03 -0800 (PST)

  * 	I am unable to install the latest port of Majordomo because
  * 	there are certain components referenced in the makefile (such
  * 	as the $INSTALL_DATA variable) which are not present in my
  * 	release of the O/S.  Unfortunately, this port, as many others,
  * 	was tailored for 2.2-BETA.  Please tell me what components I
  * 	need to get, and how I can get them, in order to be able to
  * 	successfully make the Majordomo 1.94.1 port.

 Take the latest bsd.port.mk, bsd.port.subdir.mk (src/share/mk) and
 var.c (src/usr.bin/make).  At least that will bring your ports
 building infrastructure up to date.

  * 	As a side note (and only as a suggestion), it would be great
  * 	if ports were available for a couple of STABLE versions of
  * 	the O/S.  Borrowing components from a BETA version into a
  * 	STABLE version does not seem like a good idea.

 The ports-current tree tracks -current only, and may or may not work
 with older versions.  This is necessary for us to ensure, with our
 limited mapower, to have all of 700+ packages ready come release time.

 On the other hand, I have no idea why you thought what you got was a
 STABLE version.  Please let us know how you got that port as we need
 to make sure there is no misunderstanding.

 Satoshi