Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 22:25:03 +0800 (CST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
To:        Mark Dawson <md@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

On Mon, 21 Aug 1995, Mark Dawson wrote:

> It has a couple of megs of battery-backed memory, two fast scsi-2
> controllers and does various levels of RAID on upto 14 hot-pluggable
> disks - it screams along at RAID 0 and the nv-ram gives reliable async
> performance.  Switching to RAID 5 makes it really bullet-proof.

    Nice... what is the status of your RAID support in FreeBSD?  I
imagine you need some software to control the striping, placement of
ECC slices, etc. (does RAID-5 include all that?)  I'd *love* to try
out one of these in a RAID config on a news server.  :)

> I have written a FreeBSD driver for this EISA card which is running very
> happily on a Compaq Proliant 2000 (and hopefully soon a Proliant 1500).
> Let me know if you're interested!

    Hrm... does it come in PCI flavour?  Sounds like an interesting
product that we should promote for FreeBSD.  Perhaps your driver can
go in the experimental branch for others to try.
taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw <-- work ........ play --> taob@io.org