Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 07:57:11 -0500
From:      Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TK script for installing packages

Since the subject came up recently in freebsd-advocacy,
I would like to announce that I have a short TK script
that makes it easy to do text scans on the list of packages
on the CD-ROM, and to install and deinstall them quickly. You can
for example, find anything with a given text string in the
name or description, and install or de-install it with one
mouse click.

It highlights those packages which ones have already been
installed.

It is rather crude as it is one of my first attempts at
writing anything in TK, but if the idea is useful I would
be willing to improve it and make it into a port.  It
needs to be run as root (obviously), and requires the
CD with the package files to be mounted as /cdrom. (This
is easily configured).

It is at www.ncf.carleton.ca/~ad161 - comments welcome.
BSD license, should anyone care!

--
Mike Jeays : System Development Division, Statistics Canada
14-O R.H. Coats Building, Holland Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0T6