Date:      Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:36:37 -0500
From:      Brian John <brianjohn@fusemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.4 reboots when I plug in a flash drive?

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Brian John <brianjohn@fusemail.com> writes:
>

>>Parv wrote:
>>

>>>in message
>>><1468.209.87.176.132.1128439684.fusewebmail-19592@webmail.fusemail.com

>>>I don't know the cause.
>>>
>>>Have you tried booting FreeBSD from power-off state w/ the flash
>>>drive already inserted?  That may solve your booting problem, but
>>>will not make use of the drive any easier.
>>>
>>>Which version if FreeBSD are you using?  Which of the [ueo]hci
>>>drivers come up in dmesg(8) on instertion of the USB drive?
>>>

>>> - Parv
>>>

>>Ok, I tried booting up with the drive installed.  If I leave it
>>installed while it is booting up, it eventually reboots.  However, I
>>was able to unplug it during boot and look at dmesg.  It says this
>>over and over again:
>>
>>umass0: vendor 0x10d6 USB 2.0(FS) FLASH DISK, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2
>>da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
>>da0: <USB2.0 (FS) FLASH DISK 1.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
>>da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
>>da0: 119MB (245473 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 119C)
>>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>>(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x4, scsi
>>status == 0x0
>>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
>>umass0: at uhub2 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
>>(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
>>(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
>>Opened disk da0 -> 5
>>umass0: detached
>>
>>I am running FreeBSD 5.4.  Does this shed some light on the problem?
>>

>Only a little.  Do you have udbp(4) in your kernel?
>Can you try booting 6.0 with the flash unit plugged in and see if it
>still has problems?

I could try it, but I don't want to have to roll 6.0 back to 5.4
afterward if it doesn't work.  Upgrading to 6.0 is a major change and I
only have 1 PC.  I am still kind of a novice, how easy is it to upgrade
to 6.0 and how stable is it?  I see that I have the line with udbp
commented out in my kernel config.  Should I rebuild with it uncommented?

#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices

Thanks

/Brian