Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:09:04 -0600
From:      RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <maillist@computerking.ca>
To:        users@httpd.apache.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   apache permission problem please help

SEE ERROR BELOW

Was playing with permissions on my home dirs last night and changed
everything to chmod 700 had some problem with users looking at and
copying other users webpages.  I have a directory in each users home dir
named www where they keep there web files ie /usr/home/username/www  so
i guess when i changed everything to 700 apache was unable to use these
files.

Now i have tried the best i can to change everything back set  to chmod
to 655  and even tried moving a site to /usr/local/www/username in hope
that apache could read it there but no luck what has happened please help.

Wait now things have started to work, for the web site that i moved to
/usr/local/www/username. There seems to be some lag  after i make
changes to the permissions and restart apache is this possible.

I have a real mess on my hands now guess i will have to play with
permissions and modes now to get all the sites backup.  How do i set up
home directories that are secure for each user ie other users on the
system cannot read them but apache can.  Should i move all web pages to
the /usr/local/www dir.  Also is there some way to automate this so that
when i create a new user or modify a file things will work correctly.
Have been using UNIX for many years finally got up the courage to play
with modes and perms.  Guess i  shot myself in the foot like i have been
warned about by many people and docs.

PLEASE HELP

  Forbidden

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use
an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.0.49 (Unix) PHP/4.3.5 mod_ssl/2.0.49 OpenSSL/0.9.7d Server at
v2.computerking.ca Port 80