Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:06:45 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   reading SGI backup tapes on FreeBSD

One of my clients has some old SGI O2 workstations that they were using
for a while.  Now they need some files off DDS2 tapes that were created
by the SGIs.  Nothing seems capable of reading these files.  FreeBSD
complains about buffers not big enough to read in blocks, while the SGI
machines complain that "12 errors occurred"
According to the SGI backup/restore program, cpio was used to make the
backups.  So I've tried cpio on FreeBSD with no success.  Usually I get
an "Input/Output" error.
The client claimed that the original DAT drive burned up, and they were
never able to backup/restore with the new DAT drive that replaced it, so
I have a tendency to believe that SGI DAT drive is faulty.
Although this has happened with three tapes so far, I haven't ruled out
the possibility that all the tapes are bad (they're 3+ years old), but
before I give up completely, I just thought I'd see if anyone was familiar
with this situation and had some suggestions.
TIA,
--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology