Date:      22 Apr 2002 21:58:07 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: How should I partition/slice for appliance?

Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net> writes:

| The install blew up just like it did two years ago.  [...]  So the root runs
| out of space and what the installer does then is ugly.  THIS SHOULD BE
| FIXED. I can't believe the installer is as stooopid as it was two years ago.

Mark, I love you, man, but this constant insulting of the installer is uncalled
for.

After all, *you* are the installer.  You're using a program to do it, but
you're the one doing the installation.

The installer is fine.  Utilitarian, terse, but fine.  What it's not doing, and
what you seem to be objected to most vociferously, is that it's not holding
your hand and catching your mistakes, nor is it reading your mind.

You're charging down a road with only partial information, expecting it to work
flawlessly, and being angry that the program didn't catch your error.  I'm
sorry, but it's not going to work that way.  Mea maxima culpa, but FreeBSD
isn't a paragon of user-friendliness.  It's still rather utilitarian in nature.
It's a great operating system, but not a great friendly experience with lots of
painstaking help for the novice.

If it were, you'd need a lot more than a 1 GiB drive, that's for sure.

Now, granted, I think FreeBSD is eventually headed that direction.  But it's
not there yet, so let's try to roll with things and stop with the "But it
didn't do what I MEANT" stuff.  :)