Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 02:27:39 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: M$ one-ups UNIX???

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 06:45:47PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > > ----- Forwarded message from Scott Bartram <scottb@iis.com> -----

> > > ----- End forwarded message -----
> > >

> * Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> [000301 18:14] wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 10:07:10AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > > Just saw this on a NetBSD list.  It looks like a good idea.  We should
> > > make sure that they don't implement it before we do.
> > >

> > :) Greg, can you nail down the year that symlinks first appeared in Unix?
>
> Urm, Is this:
>
> a) really symlinks/hardlinks or,
> b) a bit cooler... basically identifying duplicate files and merging
>    them to be COW'd if they are ever written to?
>
> 'a' is obviously not an innovation, and 'b' seems to be quite a useless
> feature which brings back memories of the hype behind compressed volumes
> in the early 90s.

AFAIK M$ have introduced (what we call) symlinks into Winblows.
Several people at work have Windows 2000 Professional (ha-ha) boxes
(i.e the cardboard boxes containing the CDs) on their desks (which I
drop in the waste-paper bins when I pass:)) so when someone actually
installs it I'll check it out.

As a humorous aside, we found a magazine article about Pacific Blue,
the 8192-processor PowerPC super-computer, and someone has pinned it
on the wall with the title "Microsoft spec for an entry-level Windows 2000 PC":)

> I'm sure there's better things a box could do with idle time than
> search for duplicate files.
>
> -Alfred

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000