Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:38:36 -0800
From:      Chip Camden <sterling@camdensoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best Laptop to buy for Freebsd Without OS?

--3siQDZowHQqNOShm

Quoth Chuck Swiger on Thursday, 17 February 2011:
> Hola, Jorge--
>=20
> On Feb 17, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Jorge Biquez wrote:
> > I am evaluating to buy a new laptop for using it only with Freebsd. I k=
now in the website mention some options. Thing is that here the most powerf=
ul ones (I3, I5 I7) are sold ONLY with Windows installed and that increase =
the value of the equipment. I want the best option at a nice price (could b=
e Intel or AMD) the ide is to have it as my main machine and when I need Li=
nux or Windows have them there running under VirtualBox. The use will be ma=
inly for web development.
>=20
>=20
> You have some choices:
>=20
> 1) Find a vendor offering to sell a machine with Linux preinstalled.
>    At times in the past, IIRC, both HP and Dell used to do this.
>=20
> 2) Call up a sales guy from your preferred vendor and ask to purchase a b=
are machine without OS.
>    If they refuse to sell you one, choose another vendor.
>=20
> 3) Buy a machine with the base Win 7 Home installed, decline the license,=
 and request a refund.
>    Be prepared to waste significant time on this, but it can be done.
>=20
> Regards,
> --=20
> -Chuck
>=20
rg"

Until Konstantin gets his work on GEM finished, don't buy anything that
uses the Intel Ironlake graphics chip (usually called simply "Intel
Integrated HD Graphics").  The Intel driver for Xorg won't work, and
you'll be limited to vesa at 1024x768.  Others on this list may perhaps
be able to recommend their favorite graphics option.

--=20
Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterling@camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://chipsquips.com  | http://camdensoftware.com   | http://chipstips.com

--3siQDZowHQqNOShm