Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 20:18:41 -0800
From:      "Jeffery T. White" <zellion@cyberwind.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Structure member alignment

I am writing a client server system with FreeBSD as the client. I would
like the clients [Windoze] to communicate with the server by sending
packets which are actually structures whose definitions both systems use.
In Windows the structure member alignment can be controlled using the
pack(x) pragma. so they can be byte/word/whatever aligned.

1. Is there a way to control this in FreeBSD?

2. If not is there a standard way [byte/word/etc.] that FreeBSD does this
that I can count on across all CPUs [386/486/Pentium]. Is this something
that might change in the future?

3. Maybe some other compiler might do the trick?

I know what I am writing would likely be difficult to port to other OSes.

Thanks,
Jeff