Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:43:53 -0700
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cabletron Wavelan works with wi driver

[This is pretty long but I thought it would be good to give a complete
description of my experiences for other people's benefit. ]

By the way, I thought I'd report back on my experiences in trying to
use the Cabletron Wavelan card with the Bill Paul's "wi" driver.  I
grabbed the driver and supporting files from the most recent "PAO3"
package and loaded a kernel with this code.  Then I compiled
"wicontrol".  Slid the Cabletron card into the system, ran "pccardc
dumpcis" to learn what to put into /etc/pccard.conf, then rebooted.
It recognized the card just fine.  After running "wicontrol -i wi0 -p
3" and then ifconfig'ing the interface, I was able to directly talk to
another wavelan card installed in a Windoze95 machine just fine!

My next test was to try a wavelan card and an ethernet card in the
same FreeBSD box and set it up as a router.  This works just perfectly
with one little caveat.  I found that if I put my ethernet card into
slot 0 and the wavelan card into slot 1, then the ethernet card would
take iobase address 0x300 thus forcing the wavelan card to 0x310.  The
wavelan card would not even initialize at the location!  By putting
the wavelan card in slot 0 and the ethernet in slot 1, however, the
wavelan card take 0x300 and works fine, while the wavelan card is
forced to 0x340 and still works just fine there!  (I'm guessing the
wavelan driver doesn't init. the card to the alternate iobase address
correctly?)  Anyway, it took me a while to figure out that it worked
the other way around, so I thought I'd tell everyone.

So...  If you want to do wireless networking in your house, all you
need are wavelan cards for each machine and one extra PC to use as a
router, then use everything in "ad hoc" mode.

Also, note that Cabletron is running a promotional on their cards
right now so they're not too expensive.  I searched for "CSIBB-AA"
(the PCMCIA card itself) on "shopper.com" and bought two at $264 (from
outside California so there wasn't any sales tax).

Now, however I found that my AST laptop (which I would normally use as
a router in this way) can't correctly operate a card in slot 1, only
in slot 0.  (It fails under Windoze95 as well, so it's probably
something in the hardware.  Been that way since day one.)  Also, if
you want to take advantage of the power saving mode you need a base
station.  So, I'm probably going to buy a base station under
Cabletron's promotional deal with gives me a free wavelan card.

Just letting everyone know that Cabletron wavelan cards are, indeed,
the same as Lucent cards.

/raj

--LAA05579.929212683/kitab.cisco.com--