Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 11:43:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Chang <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Passwords

Hi there,

	We are running a site that had security breakins and the hacker
managed to changed the root password and the edited both the /etc/passwd
and /etc/master.passwd file and deleted pretty much everything in it.  It
seems the pwd.db and spwd.db are the original ones since apparently the
person didn't use vipw on the DES encrypted system.  I was wondering if
there was a way to use the pwd.sb and spwd.db even if the encrypted passwd's
in master.passwd don't match.... Thanks.

Richard