Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 00:26:58 +0100
From:      "Marco van de Voort" <marcov@stack.nl>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HDD setup & boot questions

> > ***Going with the assumption that I will have to install the MS-Operating
> > System on the first partition of drive 1, what are the requirements/ options
> > in where I can Install FreeBSD and Linux?  Can I have HDD1 all for MS-OS and
> > HDD2 for FreeBSD and Linux? Or is there a location requirement that I need
> > to follow.  I have read about the requirement of the root file system
> > needing to be installed within the 1024 cyl.  Because my BIOS can handle
> > very large HDD, am I still limited by this?****
>
> I just added FreeBSD 4.0 to my working Windows 2000 Pro/NT4/Win 98
> system. None of my windows systems are located in my "C" drive. It is
> available for handling file transfers between DOS, NT4, and etc. I
> don't have Linux on any of my systems. I tried it first and then
> pulled the HD from the system and added FreeBSD. The Linux HD is still
> on the shelf in the conductive wrapper.
>
> I configured the system with a 2GB FAT, a 13GB FreeBSD slice, and a
> 4.5GB extended partition. The / partition needs to be under cylinder
> 1023. It a 100MB and is the first partition in my 13GB system. I tried
> installing FreeBSD 3.4 first but that didn't work. I kept getting
> "Illegal Partitions" when I added anything after the FreeBSD slice.
> The 3.4 fdisk is doing something bogus and breaks my system. 4.0, on
> the other hand, produced no problems and worked on the first try. I
> installed 4.0 from the iso that I downloaded and burned the image to a
> CDROM.
>
> You have to be able to switch the active partition back to the NT
> loader after you install FreeBSD. I use my Win 98 startup disk's fdisk
> to do that. This step is the largest pain in the whole process. The
> /boot/boot1 (same drive) or /boot/boot0 (different drive) become the
> c:/bootsec.bsd for the ntldr.

To complete the story:
for linux you have four options:

- the first one is the same as for BSD. minimal root partition below
1024 cylinders. But the next one is nicer.
- Only a boot partition under 1024 cylinder. The kernel is loaded  from the boot
partition, the boot partition is mounted under /boot, and the root filesystem is
allowed to be above 1024 cylinders. Check LILO docs.

IIRC for following two ways, the root partition is allowed to be
above 1024 cylinders.

The neat way:
- Add "linear" to your lilo.conf, and rerun lilo. (Only works on "modern" bioses)
 again: check lilo docs and howto's

OR

- Boot to dos if you want to boot to linux, and use loadlin to boot the kernel.
	check loadlin docs.

Marco van de Voort (MarcoV@Stack.nl)
<http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdlib.htm>;