Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 16:58:06 -0700
From:      hmmm <hmmm@alaska.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: user ppp

> > i'm hacking user-ppp and i crash it alot ...  how can i flush ppp
> > from my system when it's running as a daemon?  i'd like to restart
> > ppp as a daemon after i crash it.

flush, like in "down the toilet", like "gone", "history", "fin".
like - now i'm free and clear to restart it! :)

> I'm not sure what flush means in this context, but I think you want to
> kill the /usr/sbin/ppp daemon process and then restart it, right?

> ppp -auto <whatever>

-i- don't see a PID for PPP when started as a daemon (-auto)
are you sure ?  actually, httpd doesn't show either.  i don't
believe daemons have PIDs ...

i'd like to know why daemons are special, ie, why can't they
be binaries that can be started & stopped like any other process?

please forgive me if i'm being ignorant!