Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:37:12 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        "Lorenzo E. Danielsson" <danielsson.lorenzo@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Modified" FreeBSD Documentation License?

Hello Lorenzo,

It seems no one has yet answered to you, so I will try to... but note
that I am not a representative of the FreeBSD Documentation Project in
any form, these are just my thoughts.

One thing in advance: I do not think there is such a thing called
"FreeBSD Documentation License". It is still the BSD (software) license
that we all know and like, only it says "source form" of documents
instead of source code, and "compiled forms" instead of compiled
software. So really, it was just minimally changed to accomodate
the documentation project. (it is not like the case of GPL vs. GFDL, the
GFDL is not just a minimally changed GPL, it was written specifically
for documentation from the start)

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 01:50:08AM +0000, Lorenzo E. Danielsson wrote:

> 1. If I modify the license text to read for instance "Latex" instead of
> DocBook SGML, is it valid to still call the license FreeBSD
> Documentation License, or do I need to avoid that name?

Well, as said above, there is no "FreeBSD Documentation License" anyway,
but I think that if you change it, it is no longer the original, so you
need to rename it. Note also Point 1 of the license, this prohibits
changes to that text without permission, so if you change it, it will
become a new license. (but that is all right, you are free to create a
new license with mostly the same terms as the ones used for the FreeBSD
docs.)

> 2. Regarding the ODF documents: is it valid to consider documents
> written in a tool like OpenOffice.org a "source" format?

Well, they are in source and presentation format at the same time, because
people can use them either way. But I would not call eg and ODF document
a "compiled" format, because that just does not fit. For latex, there is
no such a problem obviously.

> 3. Suppose we go one step further and change the copyright notice to
> state the author's name instead of "FreeBSD Project" as well as "..
> PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD DOCUMENTATION PROJECT" to .. PROVIDED BY
> <AUTHOR>", is it still valid to call the license "FreeBSD Documentation
> License"?

Well, you would  need to do that anyway, since it is not the FreeBSD
Project that provides your files, but your group. So it is necessary to
do that change. As for the naming, see above.

> I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the documentation license is
> "re-usable" in the same way that the BSD license is usable outside of
> the BSD Project itself. Does this make sense? I have zero legal
> background.

IMHO, yes. But for software, you would also include your copyright
instead of the Project's.

> If this is totally off-topic, could somebody point me to where I can get
> more information? I'm not currently on the list, so could I also be CCed
> on any reply?

I hope this helps as a start, and of course stay tuned for any other
answers. :-) Best of luck with your project!

P.S. If you haven't already, you might want also check out the Creative
Commons licenses, they fit documentation more naturally than adapted
software licenses. Also, it is fairly easy to create a CC license for
your project, also for non-lawyers.

See http://creativecommons.org/license/ for more information.

--
Regards: