Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:51:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Edwin Culp <eculp@mexcomusa.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with PCMCIA Cards

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Wes Peters wrote:
> Mmm...  Good point.  This means updating code and compiling a new
> kernel every time Joe's hardware company sticks their own name on a
> generic OEM PCI or PCCard, doesn't it?  I love this industry.

Too many drivers require knowledge of specific cards in order to properly
handle 'quirks'.  This isn't going to change.  While a recompile is
annoying we can be assured that a driver maintainer will only add IDs to a
driver after they have been confirmed to work.  With PCCARD, one has to
contend with a certain amount of user fiddling in order to make things
work; this appears to be a source of support load.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |