Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 22:22:03 -0700
From:      Mark Mayo <mmayo@360networks.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 12:48:44PM +1200, Dan Langille wrote:

> > > Well, I doubt that many people use the snaps at all.  So I think having
> > > separate sites for them is an OK idea.  Perhaps we should keep a small
> > > number of "known working" snaps on the ftp site, I guess.
> >
> > i also doubt many people use the snapshots.  from observation, they either
> > checkout stuff via cvsup and make world, or else they use the RCs when that
> > is publicised.
>
> I know that the i386 snapshots are very useful.  Rather than install
> -release, you can install a snapshot and avoid the cvsup, build world,
> etc.  That capabaility is very useful for newbies.

I know that I personally install FreeBSD from releng4 just about
every install. Most people I know do the same. It makes it easy
to track -STABLE, which is one of the main reasons I've continued
to use FreeBSD over the years.

I don't know if it's reasonable for all the FTP mirrors to grab nightly
snapshots, however, each time something like releng4 (or ftp-master, or
whatever) generates them. Did anybody keep stats on releng4 to gauge
how popular the service was? Perhaps agreeing that the FTP mirrors will
pick up the latest -STABLE snapshot once a week would be worthwile. Somehow
I doubt people use the -CURRENT snapshots to the same extent, but I
can't really comment since I generally only use -STABLE..

-Mark