Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 12:46:43 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preemptive kernel on older X86 hardware

> This is actually not true (the nobody part).  I'm afraid I have no
> idea how to do a preemptive kernel where it doesn't diverge so
> greatly that it won't be effectively a totally separate kernel. I
> think if FreeBSD is not willing to bite the bullet on going to the
> preemptive kernel then it just shouldn't get done.

Well, I think we can still have our cake and eat it too.  I agree that
the 386/486 markets need to keep being supported since FreeBSD
frequently gets used at 3am "on the sly" by many techs who grab an old
box out of the junk room closet and deploy some service on it before
the boss notices.  A 486 box still makes a fine low-speed router or
mail server for a small to midsize company (or small to midsize group
within a big company).  It's also the case that the 386/486 parts have
just recently passed through the DoD's long acceptance trial process
and are now available in radiation hardened packaging for use in
satellites and other hostile environments, so we don't want to turn
our backs on that market just yet.

This simply means that we will need to start generating another kernel
for such situations, something we currently need to do for SMP systems
in any case and should probably just add as an option in the
installer.  There's also your option #2 to consider, that being to
take the performance hit for now and get past the point where the
386/486 CPUs remain relevant at all.

- Jordan