Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 14:11:11 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

Atipa (Kevin) wrote:
> <Puts on flame-retardant asbestos suit>

Smart.

> The consumer ultimately decides what sells and
> what doesn't, and not the providers.

I'm not sure that's true.  If an operating systems vendor makes
contracts with computer manufacturers that its OS is installed on all
manufactured systems, the consumer gets stuck with a `sale' that s/he
didn't necessarily choose.

> If Win98 stinks, I hope it dies and
> forces MS to make better products.

But MS-DOS stank for years and years, yet was easily one of the world's
most popular operating systems.

>           [ including competing browsers ]
>           As I said, take off the restrictions and let the best product
>           win. As consumers, _WE_ are the ones getting hosed in this
>           ordeal, not Microsoft.

Again, consumers don't always choose the superior product.  I know
personally of a large number of computer users who currently use
Internet Exploder instead of Netscrape because it came preinstalled on
their systems.  It's an older version, and both Exploder 4 and Netscrape
4 are (less buggy?) improvements.  But these users don't even realize
you could upgrade the browser, much less install a different one.

I have a feeling the so-called ``_WE_'' will get hosed one way or
another.

>         * MS must modify their "Window Manager" so that OEMs and
>           competitors can customize their visual.

Oh!  Oh!  Micro$oft should provide only mechanism, not policy!  I'll
start porting the Athena Widgets!  :-)

Seriously, this is one area that has hobbled the X desktop for years
while the Mac and Windows user interfaces flourished.  Despite all the
arguments against UI consistency, a common set of widgets and expected
behavior is really a Good Thing (tm).

More's the pity, both Micro$oft and 3rd party applications break
standards and guidelines to differentiate their products (where
`different' == `better').  No one needs to modify the `window manager';
everyone's figured out how to customize the visual appearance already.
Blech.

>           How would all the
>           developers of FreeBSD feel if I took a FreeBSD release, changed
>           the GUI a bit, and called it AtipaOS? You would feel smited.

You mean `smoten'?  :-)

I don't think the FreeBSD developers would feel that bad---read the BSD
license.

>           Also, the continuity of the UI is the only thing that makes
>           supporting this crap OS possible. If everyone had their own
>           interface, providers would have a bear of a time giving
>           accurate, detailed instructions.

Take a look at the latest version of Quicken ... Intuit took the
standards book and tossed it out the window.  Worse, Micro$oft did the
same thing when it unveiled the latest version of its competing product,
Micro$oft Money.  For more simultaneously humorous and disheartening
examples, I wholeheartedly recommend this site:

	http://www.iarchitect.com/mshame.htm

--Sean