Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2008 21:23:20 +0100
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brett Bump <bbump@rsts.org>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: System perforamance 4.x vs. 5.x and 6.x

Brett Bump wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Mike Tancsa wrote:
>
>> At 02:22 PM 2/14/2008, Brett Bump wrote:
>>
>>> I've recently upgraded a mailserver from a 4.x version to 6.2.
>> I would say move to 6.3R as its a better release with a lot of bug
>> fixes.  In terms of your general performance issues, choice of
>> hardware really makes a difference as quality of drivers can be an
>> issue.  You might have a really awesome controller that works well on
>> Windows or LINUX, but does not do so well under FreeBSD because there
>> isnt any good driver support for it.
>
> Again, that isn't diagnosing the problem as much as just saying that 5.0
> through 6.2 were all bad releases???  I doubt that can be the case.  Why
> would the driver support for this machine (working FLAWLESSLY on 4.10)
> now have bad drivers (this machine has been running 4.x for 4 years).

All it takes is a single bug (e.g. in a driver) to affect performance on
a certain specific configuration.  However, bugs tend to get fixed over
time.  Maybe that is the case for you.  It is well worth verifying
whether the problem persists on the most up-to-date sources, so that
everyone's time is not wasted in tracking down a problem that is already
fixed.  You can just do a source upgrade from 6.2, which will be quite
straightforward.

> bge0: Broadcom BCM5704 A2, ASIC rev. 0x2002
> bge1: Broadcom BCM5704 A2, ASIC rev. 0x2002
>
> -bash-2.05b$ dmesg
> pid 31611 (milter-greylist), uid 25: exited on signal 3
> pid 43464 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 6
> pid 86995 (imapd), uid 2151: exited on signal 6
> pid 85706 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 6
> pid 87600 (imapd), uid 1376: exited on signal 6
> pid 45621 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 6
> pid 45617 (httpd), uid 80: exited on signal 6
>
> The greylist entry is a standard 3am cron restart.

It is pretty unusual for applications to be aborting, but usually they
do it because they fail an application-specific run-time check.  What
diagnostics are logged by the applications?  You may need to increase
their respective verbosity/debug levels.

Kris