Date:      Thu, 06 Nov 2003 13:09:33 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Bash Completion port

--=-=-=

At 2003-11-06T18:31:35Z, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb.quenot@caraldi.com> write=
s:

> Thank you for maintaining the bash completion port for FreeBSD.  I just
> wanted to report that textproc/gsed is required by bash-completion.

With all respect, I've been using bash-completion on FreeBSD for months
before I packaged it, and I did not (and do not) have gsed installed.

> If you look at the bash_completion script, you will notice that line:
>
> $ grep gsed /usr/local/etc/bash_completion
> [ $UNAME !=3D Linux ] && have gsed && alias sed=3Dgsed

Note the "&& have gsed".  The alias is only executed if gsed is present on
the system.

The comment immediately above that line says:

    # use GNU sed if we have it, since its extensions are still used in our=
 code

which leads me to believe that either:

  1) FreeBSD implemented work-alikes of the GNU extensions, or
  2) bash-completion was reworked to not require them.

> Because  Bash Completion  is maintained  on  a Linux  platform, the  sed
> invocations fail completely on FreeBSD.

Could you give a concrete example?

> So to sum up, bash completion is only useful if gsed is installed.

I must politely disagree.  Again, I do not have gsed installed and
bash-completion works as documented, at least for the functions I've used it
for.

Are you seeing specific failures?  I'd be more than happy to work with you
to troubleshoot any problems as best as I can.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--