Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 03:32:58 GMT
From:      dlr@davids.org
To:        scrappy@hub.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD in a Solaris World

--=_alternative 00137F88072567D8_=

Marc,

I run a Solaris/FreeBSD shop. We have several Solaris machine (2.6 & 2.7),
and several FreeBSD machines (2.8,3.1,&3.2). (I do have Linux box, but I
try to ignore it :-) )

When I go to my company they where a pure Solaris shop (Intel Bad!). But
when they need a new mail server, I suggested that we get a FreeBSD
machine (1/3 the cost!) they said go for it. The Unix guru was very
sceptical, but after a few weeks and all of the bug being worked out, he
is happy with it.

I did run into 2 nasty little gotcha's, ok 3.

1. NIS+, Bitchen idea, hard to have NIS clients. Got it to work! Life is
good.
2. NFS v3. rpc.lockd doesn't work! Don't even try! You need to tell your
Solaris boxes to mount with version 2. This is a bad idea if you need to
have file locking. Bummer!
3. You will never have a small log file again if you mount a nfs mount
from a FreeBSD machine. I get this message about every 5 minutes:  mysun
statd[150]: statd: cannot talk to statd at myfreebsd, RPC: Success(0)

Once you get past the on being system 5 and the other being bsd life is
good. amd is also a very good automount daemon.

dave

David Richardson
dlr@davids.org
http://www.davids.org