Date:      Wed, 20 May 2015 21:57:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Mahmoud Al-Qudsi <mqudsi@neosmart.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of NFS4.1 FS_RECLAIM in FreeBSD 10.1?

Mahoud Al-Qudsi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have not delved too deeply into either the NFS spec or the FreeBSD
> nfsd
> code, but from my admittedly-limited understanding, it seems that
> reclaim is
> both a mandatory feature and one that is present in the current
> FreeBSD NFS
> v4.1 implementation. Is my understanding of this correct?

Only the global RECLAIM_COMPLETE is implemented. I'll be honest that
I don't even really understand what the "single fs reclaim_complete"
semantics are and, as such, it isn't implemented.

I think it is meant to be used when a file system is migrated from
one server to another (transferring the locks to the new server) or
something like that.
Migration/replication isn't supported. Maybe someday if I figure out
what the RFC expects the server to do for this case.

> My reason for asking is when attempting to migrate an ESXi server to
> a FreeBSD
> NFSv4.1 datastore, ESXi throws the following error:
>
> > WARNING: NFS41: NFS41FSCompleteMount:3601: RECLAIM_COMPLETE FS
> > failed: Not
> > supported; forcing read-only operation

This is the first time I've heard of a client using this. The only clients
I've ever had the opportunity to test against are Linux, Solaris and the
FreeBSD one.

> VMware ESXi 6.0 is able to mount NFSv4.1 shares exported from other
> operating systems, so I figured I would ask here on the list before
> digging
> out a copy of tcpdump and going down that rabbit hole.
>
> I can mount and use NFSv3 shares just fine with ESXi from this same
> server, and
> can mount the same shares as NFSv4 from other clients (e.g. OS X) as
> well.

This is NFSv4.1 specific, so NFSv4.0 should work, I think. Or just use NFSv3.

rick