Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 18:55:30 -0600
From:      Eric Liedtke <jesus@musinghalfwit.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another Linksys WDT11 problem

Brooks Davis wrote:

>On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 08:52:06PM -0600, Eric Liedtke wrote:
>
>>Ok, from my last mail I got the card working fine. So it was time to
>>tranfer it to a 3rd machine, my home router, as it's final resting place
>>and I have run into a new problem....I am getting a error message of
>>
>>wi0: mac read failed 5
>>
>>I poked around in the code a little bit, but couldn't come up with
>>anything of use. I am not sure how to go about troubleshooting this from
>>here, so any advice would be great. Thanks
>>

>Ok, this is a bit of a shot in the dark, but what the heck.  If you look
>for that error message in the driver, you'll find this comment:
>
>        /*
>         * Read the station address.
>         * And do it twice. I've seen PRISM-based cards that return
>         * an error when trying to read it the first time, which causes
>         * the probe to fail.
>         */
>
>My guess is that in some circumstances this hack isn't enough.  The
>first thing to try would be stuffing a delay in between the two reads
>like so:
>
>        wi_read_record(sc, (struct wi_ltv_gen *)&mac);
>--->    DELAY(50);
>	if ((error = wi_read_record(sc, (struct wi_ltv_gen *)&mac)) != 0) {
>                device_printf(dev, "mac read failed %d\n", error);
>                wi_free(dev);
>                return (error);
>        }
>
>Try playing with the delay value a bit if that doesn't work.
>
>-- Brooks

Thanks for the advice, but so far no luck, it's compiling one last time
with a delay of 500, I also changed the code
to spit out the return value of both calls and they are both returning
with an errono 5. Is this a standard errono or
something wavelan specific. I was trying to trace back through the code
to see what exactly was failing and why.
I'll continue when I get home , again thanks for all the help.

Eric Liedtke