Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 02:43:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lyndon Griffin <lyndon@bsd4us.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   merger information

well, I don't really know anything outside of what is in the press release
and what has been speculated on daemonnews and (shudder) slashdot.  What I
think I know is that, even though BSD/OS has a SPARC port, there is going
to be a significant amount of time before that work can be merged into the
FreeBSD tree, and there are going to be large portions of that work that
need to be at least tweaked.  It's a reasonable assumption (in fact, I
think I read for sure) that merging will happen on the 4.x-CURRENT branch
once a 4.0-STABLE branch has started.  Also, I have no idea here, but I
believe that we'll probably run across some encumbered code in the BSD/OS
tree, which means that (unless you work for BSDi - I don't) you won't be
able to see the code.  I don't know how this will be addressed when there
are instances that there is encumbered code and open-source code that
overlap the same functionality (device drivers, for instance), but I would
assume that in the tradition of FreeBSD being open-source software that by
default the open-source pieces will be included in the dist, while the
encumbered pieces will be available as binary downloads.

The more I type this, the more questions I have.  I hope that no one here
gets discouraged from continuing work that is already begun:  just having
the port in release is only the first step.

I would like to throw together a list of questions/concerns that we have
and pose that list to Core - it will help us channel our future efforts
into making FreeBSD/SPARC really exist.  My first, and probably most
important, question is this:  when can we have access to the BSD/OS SPARC
code so that we can get moving?  Anyone else want to chime in?

<:)  Lyndon Griffin