Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 21:29:15 -0700
From:      "James M. Middleton" <j.middleton@worldnet.att.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serial TCP/IP

I have recently installed version 2.2.6 of FreeBSD and I am trying to
connect my computer via a direct serial connection. My only previous
Unix experience is with SVR4 on a Sun Enterprise 3000. I have set up
ttyd0 and can log in (terminal emulation). I run slip.login and when I
do a netstat my connection shows up as sl0*. I have set the ifconfig in
rc.conf but the sl0 doesn't come up. After reading through the online
handbook It looks as if I have to run slattach. I ran the following
command "slattach -h -c -s 19200 /dev/ttyd0" and get an Ioctl error. I
have installed a RS-232 tester and can see data moving when I try to
ping from my Win95 PC. This causes a login failure/core dump. I'm
throwing up my hands. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

j.middleton@worldnet.att.net