Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:41:02 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update from KDE 1.0 to KDE 1.1

Roland Jesse wrote:

> The port of Qt 1.42 was installed *after* 1.40. So - what am I missing
> here? Any ideas?
>
> As a general side note: How is the user (me) supposed to remove the
> KDE 1.0 ports while installing the KDE 1.1 port? I simply did not want
> to pkg_delete the KDE 1.0 related ports (see above) before 1.1 is
> installed. But when I delete the 1.0 ports after installing KDE 1.1,
> files part of 1.1 might get removed. Does anybody have a way out of
> this 'circle'? I would appreciate it.

I installed KDE 1.1 without any problem, but I removed all the
KDE and QT packages before the installation of KDE 1.1. I think
that installing QT 1.42 over 1.40 and, in general, all the KDE 1.1
ports over KDE 1.0, is a bad idea. Most files are replaced,
so the coherency of the packages would be lost.

If you want to keep the old KDE 1.0 configuration (mainly
modifications to global applications and MIME types), you
should make a backup copy of the /usr/local/share/{apps,mimelnk}
directories before removing KDE 1.0. Then, after installing
KDE 1.1 you could restore the files you need.

BTW, I found only a problem with KDE 1.1: the kaudioserver process,
which allocates a shared memory segment, leaves it allocated
on exit. I use the "startkde" script from xinitrc for firing
KDE up. This problem did not happen with KDE 1.0.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@es.FreeBSD.ORG
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139