Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 17:00:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Solution: Telling if User PPP is up or down

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Jerry Kendall wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> Sounds to me like mayby it is the time to modify the ppp program
> to create a file that has the times that the link was established
> and when it was last broken. If the broken down time is, say perhaps
> a string 'FUTURE', in the future, then as far as the system is
> concerned, the link is active. When the link is broken, it puts the
> date and time it was dropped..  Maybe even something as simple as
> the creation of '/tmp/ppp.up' when the link is created and deleted
> when the link is broken... The second option is easier to implement,
> but, the first option allows for more fexibility.
>
> I have cc'd the hackers to get feed back from them... I could do the
> changes if it generaly excepted as the 'best' possible solution...
>
> Hey all you hackers: what do you think????

Jerry, I looked at the code, and if a SIGHUP was received (meaning the
modem had hung up) then Hangup() is called, which calls Cleanup().  This
should (and seems to) ifconfig the interface down.  Isn't this what you
want it to do; can't you detect if the interface is up or down via a call
to ifconfig, then?

I checked this on current.  Are you guys talking about current?

> On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Wes Santee wrote:
>

> > Whoops.  I read that as posing the question "isn't there a lockfile
> > that can be checked first?".  At any rate, I've had people e-mail me
> > to say that even doing that doesn't always work.  Looks like it's
> > back to the drawing board.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --

> Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
> the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.
>
>                     Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
>          System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
>                  jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |